In the center of Salzburg there are a number of wonderful piazzas you can stroll through and admire.
In the 16th century, these sites were redesigned and reconstructed in the Italian style. As a consequence, many of the houses citizens had to be razed to make room for these projects.
Residenzplatz Square and the Residenz Fountain
The Residenzplatz is a particularly ornate square on the borders of which are the Old Residenz Palace, the Cathedral and the New Residenz Palace with its carillon. In the center of the square is the magnificent Residenz Fountain made of white marble with figures from Greek mythology.
The Alter Markt or Old Marketplace in Salzburg’s historic city center was originally laid out in the 13th century as a place of trade and commerce.
One of the more singular sights here is what is claimed to be Salzburg’s smallest historic house. Just 1.42 meters in width, it stands next to the famous Café Tomaselli. This tiny residence was created in the years between 1830 and 1860 when an alleyway was blocked up.
The Alte fürsterzbischöfliche Hofapotheke – the oldest pharmacy still in operation in Salzburg – was
constructed towards the end of the 16th century. Here is also the Café-Konditorei Fürst, where the famous Salzburg chocolate treat – the “Mozartkugel” – first saw the light of day.
The extensive square is located to the south of the cathedral.
The Kapitelplatz is a living and thriving heart at the core of Salzburg’s city center. Here you can play chess with oversized figures, browse the products on the numerous market stalls, and admire the artwork “Sphaera” by Stephan Balkenhol. The Kapitel Fountain, which originally served as a watering place for horses, is decorated with the figure of the sea god Neptune with his trident and crown riding on sea-horse spouting water.
The Mozartplatz is at the center of old Salzburg where it is flanked by the Residenzplatz and Waagplatz Squares. In the middle of the square is a statue of Mozart.
The characteristic Domplatz lies directly in front of Salzburg Cathedral, forming the nucleus of the old Baroque center. The statue of the Virgin Mary in the center of the square was made of marble in the 18th century.
Also, the Domplatz serves as the venue for the annual staging of the “Jedermann” morality play during the Salzburg Festival. The Salzburg Christkindlmarkt Christmas market is held here in the run-up to Christmas.